If you live, worship, work, or attend school in specific Utah counties (Wasatch, Juab, or Sanpete) this may be the right student loan consolidation program for you. You must be a member in order to apply for the student loan consolidation program.

Loan Rates and Longest Terms

  • Variable rates between 5%-12.50% APR
  • 15 year term


  • You must also be a US citizen or permanent resident to apply.
  • You must be a member or be eligible for membership to UCCU
  • Applicant should have a reliable gross monthly income of $2,500 to apply alone
  • You can apply with a cosigner if your reliable gross monthly income is $2,000 and the
  • Cosigner has a reliable gross monthly income of $3,000.
  • You must have graduated from an eligible school (check the application list to see if your school is listed)


  • Both private and federal loans can be consolidated
  • Interest –only repayment option available for first 4 years
  • Can request forbearance due to economic hardship (can only receive 3 forbearance periods up to 6 months each.
  • Repayment assistance is available
  • Interest-only payment options
  • No origination fee or prepayment penalty


  • Only variable interest rates are available
  • The rates are fairly high
  • Lack of flexibility
  • If you miss a payment, there’s a late fee of $25 or 5% of the past due amount, whichever is greater

Best For

Those who are already a member of UCCU; they stand to benefit the most from consolidating student loans using its program. The lack of flexibility in rates and terms doesn’t make this much of a contender when there are so many other more lenders out there with better, more flexible terms.

To initiate the application process:

  • Proof of graduation,
  • Proof of income,
  • Your most recent student loan statement.

Have the following documents already available when applying:

  • Your transcript, or a copy of your degree, diploma, or certificate
  • Photo ID (Driver’s License or Passport)
  • How much student loan debt you still owe
  • Most recent student loan statement and a payoff letter (or screenshot of a payoff date 30-45 days in the future)
  • A copy of your two most recent pay stubs (need to be dated within the last 60 days)
  • If you’re self-employed, you need to provide two most recent years of tax returns and required schedules (usually C)
  • If you’re commission-based, you need the last two most recent years of your W-2, and two most recent pay stubs
  • If your cosigner is retired, they need to provide proof of income in the form of a pension, social security award letter, or 1099R

Other Companies to Consider: Charter One